Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 197,000 employees, Huawei is committed to develop the future information society and build a Better Connected World.
Huawei’s Dresden Research Center (DRC)’s mission is to explore programming models and kernel designs on multi-core heterogeneous architectures and NVM/SCM platforms, aiming to provide a high-performance, reliable abstraction layer for efficient resource utilization. DRC focuses its technical research in the key areas of Smart Mobile, Telecom, Autonomous Driving, Internet of Things, and Industry 4.0.
DRC's research and development are mainly focused on Operating Systems Research and Map Technology.
DRC’s Operating Systems Research focuses on Operating Systems (OS), concurrent system software, and the interaction between software and modern hardware architectures. Topics of interest include microkernel and hypervisor development, formal verification of concurrent software, operating systems and processors; dependability, reliability, safety and security certification; many-core scalability and performance; flexibility of operating system architectures, heterogeneous hardware, virtualization and innovative technologies for the Linux kernel.
The research of DRC’s Map Technology Team focuses on Geoinformatics technologies, including but not limited to Remote Sensing, Computer Vision, GIScience, Photogrammetry, and Big Data. The vision of the team is to investigate the next-generation map data (2D and 3D) construction techniques. And its mission is to address the challenging scientific and technical questions in building high geometric and semantic quality, high definition, multi-dimensional, and real-time datasets.
In recent years, many of DRC's research results have been published at top-tier conferences such as ASPLOS, SOSP and USENIX ATC. Moreover, its research and development results have been well implemented in Huawei's internal product lines and have made significant improvements in the performance of related products. In addition, DRC has developed various types of extensive cooperation with European universities and enterprises by establishing Joint Innovation and Joint Labs, sponsoring academic and technical exchange activities, providing funding for professorships to renowned universities and jointly training industrial Ph.D. students with renowned academic institutions such as the Dresden University of Technology, the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems, etc.
With rapid growth, DRC is looking to expand its highly international team (10+ different countries) of 40+ top CS researchers and software engineers.
 VSync by Oberhauser et al., ASPLOS’21, distinguished paper award: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3445814.3446748
 CLoF by Chehab et al., SOSP’21: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3477132.3483557
 BBQ by Wang et al., USENIX ATC’22: https://www.usenix.org/system/files/atc22-wang-jiawei.pdf
Now we are looking for:
Industrial PhD students in System Software Research (m/f/d)
- Explore high-reliability and high-performance many-core concurrency technologies for multi-core heterogeneous architectures
- Implement, test and evaluate concurrent algorithms and concurrent data structure, providing prototypes to the product teams
- Brainstorm in team discussions, present designs and results, helping the teams to make the solutions a reality Demonstrate the feasibility of your research result in real system design prototypes
- Document your research results and publish them in leading international conferences and journals
- Master Degree in Computer Science or other related disciplines
- Familiar with one of these languages C, C++, Rust, Go, Python
- Good understanding of multicore programming and its challenges such as performance, scalability, and correctness
- Good understanding of mainstream OS technologies and system software
- Experience with compilers, assembly (x86/Arm/RISC-V) is considered a plus
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in multicultural and distributed teams
- Fluent in written and spoken English
If you are enthusiastic in shaping Huawei’s Dresden Research Center together with a multicultural team of highly skilled Engineers and Researchers, feel free to contact us. Driving future technologies focused on the customer experience is our main mission. Apply now!
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.